Sunday, April 10, 2011

Vegetables from Outer Space.

Recent adventures into obscure food has seen some interesting cooking!! She who is Pearl, whisks away from Winmalee to far off lands of vegetable unknowns...
Intergelatic concoctions!

My first love. Brought to me by my mother... Has been my dear Kohlrabi
Purple and bulbous, with protruding tendrils of vegetable fun

My Meegan asks " what are you eating..? Sounds crunchy!" Boy howdy... Crunchy and delicious it is!
In its raw state ( my pref)... It has the texture of an apple, but the taste of.... red cabbage?  They are related by the way. Also good grated ( like coleslaw), Sauteed in coconut oil, or roasted. Use like carrot sticks for dips, serve in slices for topping with feta and sundried tomatoes... (as usual, it fulfils my absolute need for things to put slightly more runny things on; Homemade pesto anyone?)
The leaves can also be juiced for maximum frugality of resources and some very green power.

Next comes todays new comer. and inspiration for this post.
Celeriac.
I saw it and was instantly attracted to its hideous yet alluring configuration. The stranger the better in my books. ( or my plate i should say!)
How is this from this planet!? Eyes and tentacles...
This is food of the extra terrestrial realm. Mmmm tasty tasty E.T realm.
No one in the shop could tell me with 100% accuracy what it tastes like. One man said potato, one girl said celery. There is ALOT of difference between the taste of a potato and celery. So i am fairly keen to experiment at whim and see what old Mr C can do for me. (a future post perhaps?)
A-hah! On further study, I fine the potato celery combination works beautifully. It does taste and grow similar to celery... Yet, provides a low starch alternative to potato. Mash, fry or boil... A healthier and more fun alternative to high carb root vegetables. My new best friend this winter. Oh celeriac... you and your ugliness will frequent my plate.

Further experiments will motivate new posts.
From space, with love.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment