Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tea Cup Travels to Rabi.

Essentially I've chosen my first over seas trip to be to a tinsy island. Off the coast of Fiji... Which in itself.. isn't of epic proportions.

So the 4th til the 17th of December see's this fantastic teacup brew up some nifty adventures for Miss Pearl.
With 9 other volunteers... we fundraised and contributed to raise funds to help out this community. And now set off to actually do the work...
I have really big muscles.. don't you know?

Rabi (pronounced Rambi) has a very strained and political history. and i know i can't actually conceive of this yet... sitting here on my comfy bed, eating pineapple like its going out of fashion. (When actually... seasonally.. its in fashion! Oh to mint and pineapple concoctions)
But our trusty friend lonely planet says:
  • Its populated by Micronesians- Originally from Banaba.
  • At the turn of the century the native islanders sold the phosphate mining rights of Banaba in return for an annual payment. Yet because they didn't understand western money systems... Were pretty much ripped off. AND got to see their island home destroyed by mining.
  • Then in WW11- Japanese invaded and massacred many villagers.
  • British Govt then bought Rabi for the 2000 survivors.
  • Many land rights issues are arising.
  • THEN: they got hit by Tsunami Tomas. And lost 80% of its economy.
Hhhmmmmmm: Shall i continue?

As you can see... There isn't much infomation on the internet about it. Its a very small community. and we have no idea what to expect.
What fun!!
We've heard whisper of 'Library work" which could mean anything from physical labor to archiving local history. 
Bring.it.on.

First picture to come up on google images. All one can do.

I look forward to enlightening everyone on this adventure on my return. I know i will look back on this post with horror at my naivety. But this is all i have to work with for now.... Pineapple, lonely planet and a google image.




  
Hey Jesska... Remember when we made these little frogs!?
BIRTHDAYS COME BUT ONCE A YEAR.
Yet I am kinda forfeiting my 23rd. 
To spend it with the Banabans, Rach and Sarah darlings and a few coconuts. 
Alas, the 10th of December will see Sydney feeling a little empty.
No yearly hit of tea parties nor picnics for my dear lovelies.
Yet hope to see you all for deliciousness... whether it be tea, park chills or dinners, on my return.

I shan't say my goodbyes just yet. As i will probably find tasty morsels to post before I go.
xo. From the Cup. Of life.

1 comment: