Monday, February 28, 2011

Toms. One for One.

My first day of school today. And a student said 
" Wow Miss, You wear Toms! "
I was so in.
And I remembered how much I love them.
( and won over some kiddies in the process)



So my story starts at the feet... but ends up in the head.
I was ready to start going barefoot everywhere; for shoes became the bane of my existence. 
The cheap ones were too expensive for what they were. Ripping off both the consumer and the planet. Yet I found the slightly more expensive ones were no better. Just more expensive.
I went through Ballet flat to ballet flat... searching for the perfect shoe.
Enter Toms. 
Stands for Tomorrows shoes. 
Socially aware. One for One.

His story is simple and inspiring. 
Went to Argentina, found a whole lot of people ( including kids) that had foot diseases because they had no foot protection. Not to mention many social disadvantages like not being able to go to school because of uniform policy. Rah rah rah... basically.. not wearing shoes sucks.
So what does he do? what any of us would do!! 
Come back home. quit your day job and start a shoe company... the guiding philosophy entertains the notion that when you buy a pair... He gives a pair to those in need! Not just in Argentina now.. but all around the world!

Thus Blake Mycoskie's and my own story become one.
They may not be a 'pretty' as my old preference for ballet flats or pretty shiney plastic nothings.
But comfort factor, lightness factor, social factor, inspiration factor... and according to little mr year seven ' cool factor'.... way up there!!
For the travel inspired. Fancy free foot ware. Pretty excited. Inspired by photojournalist Dan Eldon.

Join me? yes! Head to the website and register. Experiential empathy might be just the thing we need.
The website posts to Australia ( and because of our amazing cha change, end up a little cheaper) But Hype stores also sell them.
Oh and you get a pretty little Tom's flag. Which I sew into cute little book bags. 


Shoes. Tick.
Book bag. Tick
First day of Teaching Internship. Tick.
Nap times....xo

1 comment:

  1. TOMS are wonderful! I glad to know they are teachers wearing them to school. But that wouldn't surprise me coming from a lady like you :)

    ReplyDelete